Information for Georgia Students and Parents
Is Gather safe for my student?
- Yes! Gather is a COPPA-compliant gaming and educational environment that fosters communities and creates connections amongst gamers. You can find a link to our COPPA policy here
How do I sign my Student up?
- Students may sign up on join.gather.gg/georgia with their school email
How does my student participate in the program and the activities?
- Students register on join.gather.gg/georgia
and Join the Gather Discord server to participate in the activities
- Students can participate in or find more information on Gather events and activities on the home page, or in the Gather Discord Server.
What is Discord?
- Gather uses Discord for safe and private communication within Gather’s own private server that is moderated 24/7.
- Discord is a VoIP, instant messaging and digital distribution platform designed for creating gaming communities. Users communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called "servers". Servers are a collection of persistent chat rooms and voice chat channels. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, iPadOS, Linux, and in web browsers
Do both parents AND students need to register on the Gather platform to participate?
- Students will be the only individuals who will be able to participate in the gaming activities. Parents do not need to register on join.gather.gg/georgia.
- When a student registers, they will check the Terms & Conditions box,
- Parents may register for Discord and join the Gather server if they want to see more information on the activities the students are participating in
What is the minimum age for student participants?
- 13 & up
What games will my student be playing?
- The program will focus on students that play video games for fun (not the competitive GSHA Esports student-gamers), 13 & up, while also providing developmental resources for various gamer-types including avid gamers and esports gamers.
Who decides what specific games are available on the platform/in the program?
- Gather and the GDEcD will host this unique digital platform featuring age-appropriate, program-approved gaming events, educational content, and Student-focused activities delivering resources that provide insight and educational guidance into the gaming and creative media industries for Georgia middle and high school Students
Costs involved to schools, to parents/students?
- No cost to the students, schools, and staff
- This is a free platform to use
Do the schools need to provide any staff to administer & moderate the "Afterschool Gaming Program"
- Gather staff will administer and moderate the activity within the platform,
- We will request that each school has a point of contact to communicate the availability of the program
- Gather will provide the communication that school POC’s will distribute
How does this differ from the existing "Play VS" GHSA Esports program?
- The current offerings for state-run or official high school events are geared towards the competitive gamer
- This program focuses on all gamer types. Not everything has to be a competition.
- Gather will still host competitive events and tournaments to identify talented individuals
- Leagues are backed by software, and competitive play seems to be the only offering, and for as many unique gamers there are, we need to start providing more for them. More focus on casual gaming in a non-toxic or intimidating ecosystem and access to resources, rather than “winning”